Hello and welcome to Alex’s Blog. This week I bring you a blog on a Monday for a very good cause. Road safety week.
As motorcyclists we are particularly vulnerable on the road compared to cars and are disproportionately involved in crashes and the resulting injuries are often severe (hence the protective clothing that we sell being highly important!)
Motorcycles can travel at speeds equal to cars (often in excess!) yet bikers, despite being kitted out fully have less protection than a car driver. No built-in air bags, roll bars or side-impact bars just full exposure from all sides.
Road Safety Week by Bike Smart is about raising awareness of safe driving behaviour for riders and drivers alike, in the hope that motorcycle crashes can be limited and more lives saved.
This Road Safety Week (19-25 November) Bike Smart are shouting about the safety of those on two wheels and encouraging everyone to be just that, Bike Smart.
We can all play our part in raising awareness about the importance of protecting those on bikes and this year’s campaign by Bike Smart will focus on:
- policy-makers being Bike Smart by implementing a safe systems approach, mandating lifesaving technology and prioritising cycle friendly infrastructure
- drivers being Bike Smart by looking out for those on two wheels, driving safely and slowly and giving bike riders plenty of space
- cyclists and motorcyclists being Bike Smart through safe riding behaviours and appropriate training and equipment
Register now to be part of Road Safety Week 2018 and get a free electronic action pack from Bike Smart. Take part in the Week by promoting the Bike Smart theme or focusing on any other road safety issue that is important to you.
- In 2016 there were 18,477 cyclist casualties and 19,297 motorcyclist casualties.
- More people are cycling so there is a greater need to protect them with a safe systems approach.
- Motorcyclists are 38 times more likely to be killed in a crash than car occupants per mile ridden.
- Motorcyclists comprise the largest proportion (25%) of road crash admissions to trauma centres.
With all this in mind every day this week J&S Accessories Ltd are releasing a Road Safety video on our YouTube channel to give you some extra safety tips and to raise awareness for a very important cause. Some of our 30 stores nationwide are hosting events – just check with your local store.
Until next time, stay safe,